Monday, August 23, 2010

Kindergarten!


Today was Ava Grace's first day of school!! She has been looking forward to this day for so long!!

We live only a few blocks from her elementary school so for the last year, she has been asking when she gets to go there... today was the day!

We have been getting ready since her birthday. We bought her school supplies, new clothes, new shoes and all of the stuff you need to head off to kindergarten. She got a fabulous backpack from her cousins and Aunt Molly and Uncle Bubba. Nana even made her a nap mat cover that is uniquely hers. She was set!

Last Thursday, was back to school night so Neno and I took her to meet Mrs. Wood. I have prayed since last Spring that she would be Ava Grace's teacher. We are so excited to have her in Ava Grace's life. She seems to have an amazing touch with the kiddos. Anyway, after meet the teacher and a few kids in her class, Neno and I took Ava Grace on a date. We talked all about how she needed to act in class and the things that she would get to do in school. It was such a special night. Thanks Aunt Bess for watching Annabelle and Adalyn!

She has known since last week that she would start school on Monday. So, last night, she knew what today would bring. After her bath, we finished packing her bag, picked out clothes for today and talked about what she wanted in her lunch.

6 a.m. came awfully early for me, but I think I was so excited that I didn't even think twice about hitting snooze. I jumped up, showered, started breakfast, fixed coffee (which I don't even drink), made lunches, switched around laundry and all before 7 a.m. We woke Ava Grace up at 7. Without any hesitation, she got up and got dressed!


We made breakfast casserole, pancakes and cut-up fruit for her first-day breakfast. Jeremy and Beth joined us to help send Ava Grace off to school. I was so glad that they were here. I know it made Ava Grace feel special and they kept Annabelle and Adalyn at home so Neno and I could walk AG to school.


























I think she was a little overwhelmed by all of the people in the classroom when we arrived - parents, kids, brothers and sisters. But she grabbed a chocolate milk from the teacher and found a seat. It wasn't until I hugged her good-bye that I began to tear up. I managed to take a few deep breathes and hold it together for her. Only now, are the tears falling as I think about the tight hug that she gave me. I don't know if it was Mommy don't leave hug or a hug to reassure me that she would be okay. I know she will be okay. My social child will eat it up!












We are so proud of our sweet Ava Grace. Today is a big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment